First step – get a place to host it
Go to bluehost. Register for a one (or two) year account. Theyâ€™ll throw in a free domain name with that, 10 GIGS (etc. etc. etc.), cpanel of space pretty much everything you need. If you wanna check to see if youâ€™re domain name is taken or notâ€¦ i use godaddy
This costs just under $100 Canadian a year(credit card or paypall). This is the only cost you will incur.
Second step – get your site configured
At the end of the bluehost installation it will ask you if you want to go to your â€˜cpanel pageâ€™. you do.
Youâ€™ll see a bunch of icons over most of the page and a bunch of info on the left banner that you may or may not understand NO MATTER.
-in the far right column youâ€™ll see something called â€˜fantasticoâ€™ CLICK IT.
in the left column you will see a list of programsâ€¦ you want WORDPRESS
click on wordpress and the right column will change, you will want to NEW INSTALLATION
Fill in the information. The directions are there, read them carefully, and youâ€™ll be okayâ€¦ some tips
-install into the root directory (leave the first field (rectangle) empty.
-use â€˜adminâ€™ as your username and a familiar password
-donâ€™t worry about the email account, just use one of yours, itâ€™s for sending a new password if you lose yours.
click – finished a couple of times and youâ€™re wordpress will be installed.
Check to see if your domain has â€˜propogatedâ€™)
This can take anything from 2 minutes (which it did for us today) to 72 hours (which happened to me once). This is the lucky part referred to in the title. It takes a while for the internet to decide that your domain name is a place to go.
– type http://domainname.com into your browser (try with and without the www) (the â€˜domainnameâ€™ refers to the domain you chose in your bluehost install)
Get that podcast up and rockinâ€™
Once you are propagated you can go to http://domainname.com/cpanel
use your user and password from bluehost installation.
– click file manager (second column second row of icons (i think))
– click www (on the folder part (little yellow rectangle))
– near the top of the list you will see â€˜create new folderâ€™ click this
– call the folderâ€™ audioâ€™
– go to the â€˜audioâ€™ folder
– click â€˜uploadâ€™ (other list of options, somewhere topish right)
-find your mp3 file and upload.
Go to wordpress
-go to http://domainname.com
– post a title and some text and somewhere include a xhref=â€http://domainname.com/audio/filename.mp3â€³>my cool podcast (except youâ€™ll need to add a â€˜< ' to the front of it, which i can't, because it would just make a link. -click submit. I have to do this with the wordpress in fantastico, i don't know why. -after you've logged into wordpress (see above) click 'Presentation' -theme editor -footer template - In the first 10 lines of code there are two place where it says 'feed:' - in here, delete all the things that say 'feed:' save changes.